Sunday, November 26, 2006



MUSEE D’ORSAY

Impressionists are the artist/magicians who manage with daubs of paint to record visual reality in terms of passing effects of light and color on a world that is in constant motion. They force our brains to translate their sometimes blurred vision into clear, accurate impressions of a real world. The Musee d’Orsay in Paris is one of the world’s best collections of Impressionist art. This BLOG entry is a salute to the artists who make us see. I photographed these paintings without flash. The first painting is Monet's "Wild Poppies" painted in 1873. Monet painted "The Bridge at Argenteuil" in 1874. Click on the paintings to enlarge them.

Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe" reminds me of the influence photography was having on art in the mid-1800s. The intensity and immediacy of the painting compels me to stop and look...and then I find that I must ask myself why the painting is so compelling...and to acknowledge that I have been caught looking.
The Disciples Peter and John Running to the Sepulchre on the Morning of the Resurrection was painted by Euguene Burnand in 1898.







Renoir's portrait of Jeane Fille Assise and Gaugin's picture of himself are best examples of impessionist painting. No photograph could catch the moods, the humanity of these subjects.


No comments: