Saturday, November 04, 2006

AERIAL BALLET HIGH ABOVE MISSION VALLEY

On our hill today a crew of painters put a primer coat of paint on the giant electricity pylons that cross San Diego County. I shot a series of pictures as they worked. They reminded me of performers I saw recently at a Moscow circus.

As I walked to the pylon with my camera, a supervisor from San Diego Gas and Electric Company hurried over to ask what I was doing. He said, "I don't think you should be taking pictures." I asked why. We talked, and when he learned that I lived nearby, he said, "I thought you might be a spy." I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. When he was convinced that I wasn't a spy for a terrorist organization, he told me all about the project. He said the project was contracted out to a company from Ohio. The painters are paid very well. They will be back tomorrow to apply a final coat of green paint. I don't want to miss that show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like fun. Reminds me of rock climbing.

Anonymous said...

Wow... the spy/terrorist comment really shows how paranoid (or careful, depending how you look at it) people are today.