Monday, October 24, 2011

The journal writing today has nothing at all to do with the photographs: Nancy's cats, Scooby and Lucky; and the dwarf zinnias and one lonely bachelor button in her front yard.
---------------
NATIONAL SERVICE

My neighbor Jim Fudge, an American patriot extraordinaire, came to mind a couple of days ago as I was thinking about what might be done to turn apathy into active interest among young people in our country. Jim was drafted into the military in 1942 when World War II was raging, threatening democracy in countries around the world. He was nineteen years old. I know some things about the Normandy Invasion because I’ve read about it in history books and have seen movies like “Saving Private Ryan.” Jim knows about it because he was there. When the war was over, Jim came home and went to college... all the way through to a PhD. and a teaching career that included distinguished membership in the music faculties of the University of North Dakota and Grinnell College. Four of my uncles and three of Margaret’s brothers served in the military. They all returned to civilian life more aware of the meaning of democracy and more committed to American institutions than they had been before their period of national service.

All of us can name others whose commitment to America was reinforced by national service. Our friend Jean Wright-Elson’s career as nurse in the military and Tom Respess‘ career as a chaplain in the military left them with heightened sense of citizenship responsibility. Senators John McLean and John Kerry and many other members of congress have followed national military service with distinguished political careers. My niece Tiffany Walker spent two years working as a Peace Corps volunteer in a small village in Cambodia helping repair the damage done by the Pol Pot regime. My friend and former student Antonio Garcia served on active duty in the Marine Corps. He was deployed twice to Iraq. For the rest of their lives these good people will continue to honor and serve our country. They are keenly aware of the privileges and responsibility of citizenship in a democracy.

On a recent trip to Greece, the birthplace of democracy, I learned that military service for 9 months is required for male citizens between the ages of 18 and 45. It’s too bad the national service extends only to the military and excludes women... sounds a bit like the Greece of 400 B.C.E. In Israel, secular Jews, both men and women, are drafted at age 19. Males serve for three years and females serve for two. National service is a rite of passage... except for Orthodox Jews, Muslims and Christians (a quarter of Israel’s citizens). It’s interesting that a majority of Israelis, including most Arabs, support expanding national civilian or military service for everyone. In Germany men only are required to serve and half of the 180,000 men drafted opt out of military service in favor of civilian service or foreign development or noncombat military work. Austria and Denmark also offer civilian service as an alternative to compulsory military service. In Taiwan males over 18 must complete two years of national service, either in the military or doing civilian work like policing, teaching, firefighting and on projects relating to the environment. the Diplomatic alternative Service Program sends Taiwanese me to work in medicine, agriculture and technology in countries like Chad and Macedonia. With a stated goal of promoting patriotism and racial harmony, Malaysia uses an annual lottery to select 85,000 recent high school graduates for three-month camp with military-style physical training and community service. Each group has 60% ethnic Malays, 28% Chinese, 10% Indians and 2% others-- a mirror of Malaysia’s makeup. In South Africa, before being certified to practice, junior-level doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational and speech therapists, clinical psychologists and dietitians must serve a year working in poor areas. Singapore requires military training for all male citizens and second generation male permanent residents when they reach the age of 18.

One of America’s most critical national problems is the disaffection of young citizens. Our society is afflicted with cultural malaise, coupled with ignorance about local, regional and national government that renders young people disinterested and impotent in matters of citizenship. When I get back home later this week, I am going to put together a small group of people to look into the matter of national service for American citizens. With BLOG postings I’ll let you know how its going. Stay tuned.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very interesting. When I was a young man I was recruited into the Air National Guard by a friend and served three years. After that term I did ot sign up for a second because I was going to college. I was deferred from active duty because I was going into the ministry, but I still had to complete my 8 years to the military. I finished it up dring my post college years in the Air Force Reserves. I am grateful for that military experience and often regret not having served in active duty. If I had to do over again I think I would consider being a military chaplain.

I abhor war and am a peace maker at heart but have liked the idea of America defending lesser nations who were bullied by others. I share the intollerance of aggreessive war and war for the advantage of those trying to make a buck. Taylor

Unknown said...

I learned a lot reading this post.( What else is new?) I had no idea about all those other countries and those requirements. Generally speaking, I think I like the idea, but here's where I get a little anxious. I like the idea if defending smaller weaker countries as the previous comment was made, what I don't like is, for example, us going into Iraq during Bush's term.I still don't know why we went, and we're almost out. During that time there were rumblings of possible reinstating the draft. My daughter was quite concerned. I told her, she did not have to worry, there was no way anyone was going to make her go to Iraq...for what, and fight. I assured her we would be long gone when they came knocking at that door.
So, that's what freaks me out about mandatory military service. If we have that, it must be mandatory that the Commander in Chief isn't a lunatic.
As you can see, I'm torn on the subject.
If your talking about non military national service, I'm in.