Saturday, January 15, 2011

Nina and I went out with our cameras this afternoon. I'll get a proper portrait of her for my project later.

In addition to... or perhaps I should say together with... my photograph of something that will “capture” the day for me, I am doing one portrait in black and white for each day of this year... Sometimes the portrait will be my picture for the day; sometimes not. Today is Jon Lin’s birthday, so the portrait of him will serve in both categories. I’ve put it here in both color and black and white. I also got three other portraits for today: Nina, Matthew and Reuben.
I thought perhaps today would be a good day to give some thought to what I will consider a portrait. The usual definition says a portrait focuses on a person’s face, although the entire body and the background may be included. The objective is to capture the likeness, personality, and the perhaps the mood of the subject. Although the portraits of Matthew, Reuben and John are included on the BLOG in color, I’ve rendered them in black and white for the portrait project.

Jon
Matthew

Reuben

No comments: