Thursday, November 09, 2017


On a walk through Old Town I came across this cactus, all by itself, not getting any attention from the crowds milling in the shops and wandering around the tourist attractions, and I thought how beautiful it is, how striking it is, and nobody seems to notice.  I've been in Old Town a couple of times recently, after not having been there at all for several years, I don't remember seeing the cactus on other walks through the park, but I will definitely go by to check on it when I come to Old Town again. With this image before me, the cactus seems even more important than it seemed when I first saw it.  I won't be able to get the picture of it out of my mind even when I close the computer page.

A couple of months ago, a new fountain was installed in a shadowed area at Paradise Village.  I used my mobile phone to make the picture, and I left it on my desktop since I downloaded it the same day I snapped it.  Like the picture of the cactus, I'm not at all certain why I am stirred by the image.  Normally I would find the shadow distracting and would think it spoils the picture... Not this time.
And a picture I got in Balboa Park several months ago has stuck in my mind.  Of course, we hear a lot about "virtual reality," and perhaps that's why this picture has lodged in my thinking for a long time.  I don't know any of the people in the picture.  There is mystery here, and I don't know why it exists here.
I won't try to explain it, and I probably won't spend any more time trying to figure out why I like these three images... but I do like them.






No comments: