Wednesday, October 05, 2016


Get Real:  As you know, for a few days I have been going through photographs to know which to throw away and which to save.  I came across a batch of pictures from ComiCon, and the old dilemma was not whether I should keep images or to throw them away, but whether it is a good thing or not that adults enjoy pretending they are not who they really are. My thinking jumped from adults pretending they are animals or super heroes to the election, and I scared myself with the thought that adults indulge in a game of pretending the world can be made better by pretending things are not really what they seem to be. I find myself being afraid that the election can go so wrong that the Trump candidate might be elected President of the United States.  It’s an impossibility that this man who pretends to be a successful businessman could be elected to the highest office in the world.


Trump’s pretending could do great harm to the nation and to the world.  Denying obvious science to believe there no such thing as climate change, for example, is probably not a great stretch for someone who holds onto notions that the use of coal in industry can’t possibly be connected to anything harmful to people because meeting the energy needs of industry in a system that belongs to another age creates jobs… and people need jobs…and coal makes jobs.  Pretending that there is no other way to make jobs except in ways that harm the earth is not wise, is not mature.



No comments: