Friday, October 24, 2014

O.K...  O.K.!  The picture of my little study on this Friday morning is an honest confession that the place where I write is often like an unmade bed... but I wanted to get it done and posted, so this has to be my photo du jour.

The old teacher who still wakes up inside me every morning is always on the lookout for good writing.  I found some this morning.  I swear Diana Marcum must have some of William Faulkner’s or Flannery O’Connor’s DNA… or some other Southern writer’s blood… in her… or maybe the Salinas-born John Steinbeck's creative juices flow through her veins. 

Marcum’s writing is good from the beginning of the piece, but it gets even better as it goes along… right to the last word.  But this isn’t fiction. The people she describes don’t live just in her imagination.  They are real.  Read the story that begins on the first page of the Los Angeles Times today… and be glad we still have a newspaper like the Times and writers like Marcum who write for it.


I went on to read the rest of the paper this morning and found today’s issue to be a bit of a gold mine of good reporting and good writing.  I was born in Arkansas, so how could I not jump right into the piece by John M. Glionna which begins with the tag “Possum Grape, Ark.


…and the Jim Puzzahghera’s reporting about Scott Peters bid for reelection to his Congressional seat:


Oh, what the hell…  You may as well go out and buy today’s paper if you’re not already a subscriber.  

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

So we now know where the old bard writes ;) And I see a Obama hanging in there as well! Thank you for this rare glimpse.