Thursday, May 08, 2014

In my wandering (and wondering) today I revisited some of my favorite works of art in the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and in the Gallery of American Art.  Almost everybody has seen copies of these works of art, but seeing them “for real” hanging in galleries is a great pleasure. I have too many favorites... and took too many pictures for one day’s post.  I started the day by taking a pictures of a framed collage in Nancy’s house.  It’s built around a conversation between two of my favorite A. A. Milne characters.

Also while poking around Washington today I stumbled onto copies of some more of Thomas Jefferson's papers.  He was a man of noble character, and it may come as a surprise to many church people that he not only rejected the notion that a nation should be founded on any religion, but he expressed doubt that religion can be of much value in the search for justice for all people. In a letter to his nephew in 1787, Jefferson offered the following advice:
“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.... Do not be frightened from this inquiry from any fear of its consequences. If it ends in the belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise...”
Later he wrote, “I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.”
------------
O.K... Now for the pretty pictures:














No comments: