Saturday, March 01, 2014


Stormy Weather…  The rains came and the wind whipped twigs and leaves from the eucalyptus trees and interrupted my Internet connection, but my little hummingbird seems to have proved herself to be fit for the job of bring new life into the world.  I was going to say, “All’s right with the world,” but that’s obviously not the case.  The Internet connection has resumed, and I can post my picture of my backyard in the rain yesterday and the picture of my tiny friend sitting patiently, though wet, on her two eggs… but repairing Ukraine and Russia and Uganda and Arizona and whatever it is Ted Cruz and the Koch brothers are hunkered down plotting with the Tea Party to do with America… those are still concerns… still problems… 

So I’ll do what I’ve done before…  I’ll reread William Faulkner’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech.  He was talking about the role and responsibility of the writer, but what he said was aimed at all of us.  

If you haven’t read it lately, go now…

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1949/faulkner-speech.html


1 comment:

Roz... said...

Loved those two photos. Your tiny friend is very patient. I have one also that I talk with every day. We have been in this paradise ten years, and this particular bird builds in the same spot every year....which makes me wonder how long do birds live. I am telling people who live here there is no such thing as bad weather, only different weather. roz.