Friday, March 14, 2014

O.K., O.K...  I freely admit it.  I'm in a delightful rut. I tried briefly today to pay attention to trees and even to people, but I was drawn back to flowers... looking at them with insect eyes.  You know, of course, that a dragonfly's eyes have as many as 30,000 lenses.  Yesterday it was the Jimson Weed. Today it's the ubiquitous ice plant that splashes outrageous color all along the banks of our freeways and roads, and the lily under my hummingbird's nest, and an unassuming blue cluster of tiny flowers in a window box on 32nd Street.


EVERGREEN?

You know the leaves on evergreen trees,
the ones that seem to last forever?
They don’t.
Deception is the name of the game with them.
They hang on there through severest weather
looking as if they could survive anything.
I don’t pretend to know how they do it
through drought or too much rain or cold.
When spring comes 
with its out with the old, in with the new
approach to cleaning up things
the leaves from last year fall off.
They’re pushed off, I guess by brand new leaves
that sprout from the branches and twigs
without so much as an excuse me or I beg your pardon.
You see them lying there on the ground
all around the tree in April and May,
finished, forgotten, except maybe by a gardener.
Everything finally winds up as compost, 
which isn’t such a bad thing
when you stop to think about it.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surreal and artsy flowers! Delightful and lovely.

Liiz R said...

The blue is lobelia. I never knew it until I arrived here. It is a lovely little flower. often gathered with something red and also white for the Fourth! My DNA material went into the mail today. In about six weeks, I will finally know who I am! Liz