Thursday, March 20, 2014


All Right!  All Right!  Word is out in the neighborhood. Margaret and I are bird people… hummingbird people. The birds obviously know they are safe on our back porch and in the garden in front of our apartment. The hummingbird mother and baby in the pictures I’ve posted in the past couple of weeks live just outside the window of my study.  Today a new hummingbird has moved onto the porch in back and has worked from daybreak until dark building a nest.  I don’t know if a male is contributing any effort to the nest building.  There are never two birds there at the same time, so I couldn’t know for sure if just one bird was constructing the nest or if there are two of them. I’m guessing the female is doing it all. The nest won’t be finished for at least another full day… maybe longer.   It looks to me as if it's no more than half done.  I’ll watch again tomorrow.












2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are just incredible. How ingenious they are. Great shots Jerral.

Rajesh said...

Birds have a sense of their own. They know where they are safe. I am sure they also recognize love and care. My best wishes to the new tenants.