Thursday, June 27, 2013

Today I sat and listened to Speaker Boehner explain why he wouldn't allow the Senate Immigration Bill to come to the floor of the House,  and I thought how like the setting of a Greek tragedy Washington has become and how like a Goat the Speaker has become. Perhaps he was always a goat... I wonder what he was like as a child on a playground in Ohio... and in high school trying to take himself seriously and straining to be taken seriously by his peers... and later crying and braying as he climbed the political rungs to get to his high office, he probably couldn't have imagined he would be the character with the tragic flaw who would be unable to stop great damage from being done to his party.  We get our word “tragedy” from τράγος (tragos), the Greek word for “Goat” and ᾠδή (song or ode). 



On my study wall 
they watch me
like Greek theatre masks...
while I read
and
think and think some more
then type and think...

But the one that 
doesn’t let me forget
that τραγῳδία
inexorably finds its way
into every enterprise

Is the one
I brought home
across the border
from Mexico...
made appropriately
of grass. 




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your office space and your treasures.​
M.L.

John Baker said...

excellent.....and of course my flaws have made it difficult for others....as well as for myself.....and yet the supreme court did well this week...another strong step...

My work with immigrants here in Washington is wonderful and yet now we are hopeful that a good result comes of what has been started.....and Republicans need Latinos and Blacks and women as do Democrats....and one day that will happen....remembering that it was the Republicans that supported Lincoln and the Democrats supported slavery......strange bed partners we all have....

agape'
JB

Anonymous said...

...beautiful poetry and analysis of a man's character worthy of Aeschylus. Thanks Jerral.
Fred

dcpeg said...

Your take on "The Boner" was right-on!

Anonymous said...

But goats are not as they are normally presented. Did their bad reputation begin with the way they are portrayed in the Bible? They are much more interesting than the "hero" sheep! And they can be loving, sensitive creatures with amazing personalities. Love--Diana

Jerral Miles said...

Diana, I agree completely that goats have been given a bad rap... but not Boehner. I probably should be apologizing to the goats for putting them in the same "drama" as Boehner.I have some good photographs of your sweet goats.
Jerral

Anonymous said...

You do goats a great disservice. sir! Why some of my oldest and best friends have been...

Anonymous said...

Amen & Hear, hear!!
Betsy