Sunday, December 16, 2012



This was one of those weeks when everything went well for me personally, but news seeping into my bubble from the outside unsettled my confidence in Robert Browning’s declaration that “God’s in His Heaven, all’s right with the world”... So this morning I went to church.  Going to Church on Sunday Morning is a habit... a lifetime habit that I’m not likely to break. It’s a habit that I’ve occasionally considered breaking because as I’ve grown older I’ve become less religious... not irreligious, but definitely less religious and more agnostic.  My habit, like some other addictions, makes little or no sense to some of my casual friends, or even to some of the people who love me.  I like being in the glorious cathedral space of First United Methodist Church, and I like just as much being in a humble small dimly-lighted chapel.  I like the way my own voice feels rising and joining with other voices even though I don’t believe some of what the Apostle’s Creed requires me to say that I believe... and to say anything in unison with all the other people in the glorious cathedral space feels good.  Like the good natured, cheerful drunk, I’m one of the happy ones addicted to church.  Some drunks are not so pleasant... a few even downright mean.  It’s true, too, of regular church goers. It’s not pleasant to be in the company of some of them, but they are not the reason I go.

I needed church today.  The tragedy at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, rattled me... touched me.  I didn’t expect an explanation in church.  I didn’t want to hear anybody suggest that evil in the world is part of “God’s Plan.”  I simply wanted to be surrounded by beautiful space and to wish I could share the experience of holy space with grieving parents of murdered children.  

At the beginning of the service children and young adolescents processed down the aisle of the sanctuary and turned, bright and beautiful, to face the congregation and their director.  They weren’t doing it because of what happened in Connecticut.  It was on the program already before that awful Friday morning.  They had practiced.  When they began to sing, I grabbed my camera and hurried to a place high up under the organ pipes at the back of the church.  I was alone up there and the camera’s viewfinder was blurred because I was crying.  It felt good to cry and to let the sound of those young voices singing as if they would live forever wash over me.  It wasn’t a blubbering, sobbing sort of crying... just the soft, comfortable slow running of tears.  I got the pictures and came down with hope that these children and others around the world might make earth a safer place. It's what I expect church to make me feel... Hope.




15 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful scene you captured. I have goosebumps because of the nerves these photos touch.

I liked your thoughts on going to church, and I like that you go weekly, feeding your habit. I totally get while you like to go. I feel I may have mentioned this before, so pardon me if I am repeating myself, but when I used to go, I would have a good feeling upon leaving. Like you, I didn't quite get some of the words I was saying, but I realized later, it was the fact that I was in this quiet beautiful church, alone with my thoughts, it was actually a form of meditation, and thats why it felt good. Anyway, I get what you're saying.

I've spent the last 2 days angry. Really really angry because of these killings in newport. I haven't been able to focus on anything else. While reading everything I can about it, I couldn't bring myself to look at the photos of the kids that were being put on facebook. Couldn't do it. Couldn't read the names of the children that were listed on CNN. I actually had work to do this evening, but I knew the memorial service was taking place up there. So I took a minute, ran to my room, turned on CNN, and right then, the President starting reading the first names of all those children. That was my tipping point. The tears flowed. I guess I was meant to hear those names.

And one other thing, After watcing a video of the President's remarks at the service, I am very proud to call him my President.

Anonymous said...

"Thank you, Jerral."
H.W.

Anonymous said...

"Amen! Mr. Miles!"
A.Y.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words and good picture alike. Now you have me crying.
Ben

Anonymous said...

Yup...even the greatest Gospel writers knew that tapping into a God-sized love required a child! Sometimes a whole bunch of them! Today they were clearly there for you. It's a hangover I hope you have for a long time. Peace, Bob

Anonymous said...

Jerral, thank you for this gift. Love, GInny

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written feelings... of hope. Thank you, Jerral.
D.J.

Anonymous said...

Another piece of brilliant writing from my high school English teacher.
S.W.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful posting from your heart Jerral. It will be comforting for others to read and see. I'm so glad you had your solitary moment up to the "high place" to take it all in. Yes, there is something special about adding your voice together with others. The children's choir must have sounded angelic. Be well. Can't wait to see you.

Clyde

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This was comforting to me-as a Jewish Agnostic.
Roz

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, moving blog, Jerral.
Blessings,
Jessica

Anonymous said...

It would be the church's loss if you were to stop coming because you
mainly attend "out of habit." I see you more on the order of remaining
a "follower of the Way." --like the early followers. And in the spirit of
Jesus --staying with the religious establishment--with all its flaws and
working for a more perfect way.

It doesn't really bother me to say the ancient creeds in a church as long
as I know the actual leaders don't expect me to think just like they think.

Son, David,
and I were talking last night about how important it is that
people in a group don't all think alike--with group pressure and all-- as
that extreme can lead to mass suicides. On the other hand, a
positive group needs to have enough meeting of the minds to actually
be a fellowship supporting each other and their causes.

On the news last night there was a report on some last photos the Hubble
telescope received from galaxies formed near the "beginning" and now
just reaching earth after billions of years. This is really mind boggling.

And there is a personal God that really cares about "little us?"
Now that is Good News and also sounds like a bit of "foolishness."

I prefer to have faith in this foolishness rather than unbelief. Just as
it is best to live as if we have freedom of choice and we need to take
responsibility for our actions.

That lady I was talking about that only sees hypocrisy in churches and
religion --as that is what she is now looking for --that is what she will
continue to see--so how does one maybe change that around or take
a new direction? I suppose that won't happen unless she exposed
herself to others that question such things.--And she is willing to
accept imperfections in others.
Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jerral. Thank you.
J.R.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Your photos  and blogs light up my life. This one really helps heal that hole in my heart….
 
Dianne

Anonymous said...

i was ironing, left handed, today and thinking about the gun problems. it crossed my mind that maybe this president was meant to have to finally deal with this because of his very young family.
M.L.R.