Wednesday, May 18, 2011



WE ARE ALL TWINS


The world ever sees only one,
but we have always been two...
once eagerly hurrying to get on
to that something somewhere,
skipping inexorably intertwined,
always wanting what was there.

Having lived together for so long
we can be frank and honest then.
You know, of course, I have seen
how much slower you are than I,
and it frustrates me sometimes...
like this morning when it rained.

What does rain have to do with it?
Shall I admit that I am tentative now
when I start down a hill on the bike...
and the world is accelerating faster
than when you and I were twenty?
Do I frustrate you... or frighten you?

Confession is good for the soul:
It’s true you frustrate me sometimes
when I want to race to the curve
and surge toward the wind rush
while you hold back afraid...
to fall or fail to get there at all?

Well, one thing we both know:
You can’t get there without me.
We sometimes sitting alone
have wondered how to escape
to some other state of being;
but I shouldn’t like to leave you.

I am Chang and you are Eng.
Wherever one of us goes
the other surely must follow.
It’s too late in the game
for second thoughts
about our partnership.

You remain steadily young,
and I grow slowly older.
When we were both young
I remember wanting wisdom,
hoping you could provide it...
I need you now more than ever.

Easy, Old Man. Pull back the reins
on time in whatever way you can.
I will help. I shall provide the will
and you will find the strength.
I shall dream and imagine goals.
You will find a way to get us there.

No comments: