Monday, September 15, 2008

HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW (AND THE HUMMINGBIRD)RECUPERATING

This little guy on my hand flew smack into a window and knocked himself out for a couple of minutes. I thought he had bought the farm and was about to give him a decent burial when I saw a little wing flutter. Eventually he sat up on my hand, looked around, and tried his wings, which didn't give him lift-off. When I tried to put him on a twig, he fluttered and insisted on staying on my hand. At this point I thought we might be developing a permanent partnership but reconsidered as I took into account the great difference in our sizes. I decided to be satisfied with a short-term relationship and settled myself on a bench. He sat patiently while I got my camera out and stretched my arm as far as I could reach. I managed to get him in focus, and I took this one picture... then he flew away. I sat for a few minutes and thought about how blessed I am.

I confess that when I got up and walked away, I was tempted to look back over my shoulder to see if he was following me.

1 comment:

Hajime said...

Wow, amazing picture. This is totally a Saint Francis moment. To think that something that is usually a blur would calmly rest in your hand must have been special. I bet this doesnt happen to too many people.