Saturday, January 12, 2008

SO MUCH DEPENDS UPON A YELLOW MOTORCYCLE

I thought of the striking poetic image of a red wheelbarrow in the rain as I watched my friend Guy Henry drive away from our coffee date on his yellow motorcycle. With apologies to William Carlos Williams:

THE YELLOW MOTORCYCLE
by J.M.

so much depends
upon

a yellow motor
cycle

glazed with California
sunshine

beside the silver
car.

THE RED WHEELBARROW
by William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Motorcycling to me is poetic. Especially on this Italian make that I ride, it is more an emotional equation rather than quoting mechanical specs, acceleration numbers, top speed, and so forth.
And it unquestionably depends on California sun. Unless the road is dry, I am at home in my robe with the Sunday paper, my coffee, my boys, and my wife.

Thanks for the coffee talk and the cool photos!