Sunday, April 22, 2007


Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.
Proverbs (ch. VI, v. 6)

Being always on the lookout for my photo-du-jour, I saw a busy little ant colony at the edge of a parking lot. I got the picture and sat and watched for a little while. Amazing creatures these ants. I went home and Googled to learn something about them. I haven't lost some of my teacher-habits.

Some of the things I learned in the Google search:

1. Ants may constitute up to 15% to 25% of the total animal biomass on the planet.
A. They are the most numberous type of animal (11,880 known ant species).
B. Their combined weight is greater than the combined weight of all humans.

2. They can carry 10 to 20 times their body weight. They work in teams to move extremely heavy things.

3. Ant brains are the largest among insects.
A. Mushroom shaped brain appendages have function similar to the gray-matter of human brains.
B. It has been estimated (by whom, the source didn’t say) that an ant’s brain may have the same processing power as a Macintosh II computer.

No comments: