Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm trying my hand at black and white digital photography. Just as the world is in living color, all digital photographs begin as color images which are converted to black and white in the computer. These are some of my first efforts. You can get a full screen photograph by clicking on the image in the blog.Because I've always liked Georgia O'Keefe's jimson weed paintings, the wild flower is obvious subject for me. This Kumayay lady was working on a clay pot in Balboa Park last summer at a festival. The black and white photographs is a much more satisfying image than it was in color.The Kumaya were well acquainted with the little canyon that is now Mission Trails Park. I especially like the fence, the road, and the invitation to the eye that they provide as a way through the mountains.Will and Estelle Secor's Muffy was a perfect subject for a black and white photograph. The fishing fleet in San Diego Harbor provides good contrast material for black and white images.I got this shot coming out of the Golfo Nuevo south of Buenos Aires in 2004.In 2006 I got this photograph in Prague near the famous clock that puts on a good show every hour on the hour. It's is a good compromise between black and white and color photography.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The black and white photos are stunningly beautiful!! The shadows, lights and reflections are mesmerizing! I find myself simply staring at each one.

Keep up the good work!!

Hector :)

Jerral Miles said...

Hector,
Thanks for the comment. I come back to black and white over and over again. I find that color sometimes distracts from composition in a photograph, and with black and white we are forced to see the form.
Jerral

Anonymous said...

i never saw that square looking so empty! i love the contrast of the color against the black and white.

Jerral Miles said...

Jaclyn,
The clock had just finished doing its thing, and the usual great crowd melted away leaving the girl with the green unbrella.
Jerral