Saturday, December 16, 2006



For a long time one of my favorite poems has been "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens. I get up every morning and go out into the world hoping that I will see things that I have seen before, but that I will see them differently. The English teacher in me wants to explore the difference between "seeing differently" and "seeing different things." The difference between the adverb and the adjective is important. Am I seeing different things, or am I seeing the same things differently?

San Diego's midday light has been different from the usual clear, sometimes rude glaring brightness. Scattered clouds slowly gathering into a storm have sobered the landscape. In my computer "darkroom," with the help of Photoshop, I have found even more than thirteen ways of looking at palm trees.





































...And then I remember bark is what dogs do and wish I could photograph that.

No comments: