Wednesday, June 17, 2015


Two of my closest friends are Clyde and Dave Yoshida…  In the spirit of friendship we meet every Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. for coffee and a visit… We share stuff that friends are known to share… like this morning after Dave had gone to work and Royden and and Dave H. had come and gone on to Wednesday business, I dropped off something at Dave’s and Clyde’s house before they made their way up Interstate 5 to a Niece’s graduation… and I enjoyed finding Orange Cat on their doorstep, sound asleep.  I tiptoed with my camera, the way I sneaked up on the lizard yesterday, and got a picture of Orange Cat just as he opened his eyes.  He recognized me and knew there was no need for alarm.  I could have got a picture of the stretching, purring and nuzzling that followed, but the best time of all was the moment of recognition.  In the next few days I’m going to explore the idea that great art and especially photography that rises to the level of art calls attention to the moment before something happens… It doesn’t have to wait to grab an image from whatever follows. 

A few years ago I got a picture of two zebras. I don't remember what happened after I took the picture. It doesn't matter.


No comments: