Tuesday, February 17, 2015

You know how it is… You find something you did a long time ago, what seems like a lifetime ago, and you try to fill in the details around what you find so you can remember exactly why you made whatever it is you’ve come across in this new time, this new place.  That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I was thumbing through a notebook of scribblings from that earlier time.  It was 1985 and I was in New York City… Manhattan… Midtown… I had left the University Club and was on my way to catch a train, which I climbed aboard a little later; and on the two-hour ride I wrote a poem about what I had seen and what I had heard.  A dozen times I’ve reread the lines written in long-hand script that I recognize as mine, and I remember the afternoon and wonder if the words I wrote are letting me see and hear again what actually happened, or have the thirty intervening years of experience between then and now and the impulse to create something as I passed the time on the train that Thursday afternoon changed the experience into something else.  Now...reading what I wrote then, I can see and smell New York on a late spring mid-afternoon… a pretzel vender… holding a knife… another man afraid to slip beyond the implied boundary the man with a knife had established… people gathered around… one policeman on foot joined by six others getting out of two squad cars.  

I’ll never know what really happened before I got to that street corner or what happened to any of the people after I left it… but I find myself wishing I knew.


unless it get use for hotdogs or pretzels
the knife mighty real all right
catchin the sun  
an finally catching attention of a foot cop
the crowd an all attractin attention
so he run like hell
talkin all the time into his walkie talkie
by the time he get there the siren sound
an the crowd take one step back
but only one step
nobody leave the scene
not wantin to miss it if somebody get cut
the guy with the knife circling now
like in the movies holding his left han up
knife held steady in the right han
and he say who you gonna kill bastard
and the cop he get there an break the circle
stand back hisself near the crowd
tryin to stay cool
breath coming quick
wonderin I think if he want to draw his gun
but he just place his han on it
and raise the other han up
and the pretzel guy
from India maybe
wide moustache on a brown face
ain’t black
standin there with the knife and raised han
and the guy with killin on his mind having second thoughts
backin up but there ain’t no opening in the crowd
the squad car squeal to a stop
an two other cops jump out drawing guns
and now the first cop jerk his gun out
and they stand there trying to figure out who all to aim at
so they turn to the guy with the knife
and he say whoa I’m innocent here
I’m just keepin this guy in line til you come
and the guy who was yelling about killin turn his palms up
and shrug his shoulders and raise his eye brows
like to say what the hell
this guy just go crazy an draw the knife
the cops put the handcuffs on the pretzel guy
after he drop the knife and see the situation
an start tryin to explain
but there ain’t nobody else threatenin
so the cops take him away
his pretzel cart just standin there smokin.


No comments: