Saturday, February 14, 2015


This is probably the last day that I should impose my presence on these beautiful creatures.  I came back from my bike ride, set up my tripod with camera near the nest and stationed myself a few yards away with my remote device for operating the video camera.  I was still wearing a bright yellow-green bicycle shirt that alerts drivers that I am out there when I’m riding.   I saw the little mother hummingbird approach; and I guess she was spooked by the bright shirt, so she perched on a bougainvillea shrub and watched me.  I sat as still as possible, but she didn’t go to the nest; so after awhile I took off the shirt and sat on it to see if that was what was bothering her.  After awhile she flew to the nest and after feeding her babies, she did the usual inspection of the camera and then came to within a couple of feet of my face… she checked me out and flew away.  She and I didn’t reach even a tacit agreement that I could be there, so I’ll be careful not to interfere with her getting her chicks ready to fly.


And across town... Jyla is four months old.
Wow!  Life is good.

No comments: