Monday, February 02, 2015

from my 1990 journal (Saturday, July 21)
Margaret and I were in Bangkok, having come up on the train from Singapore.

I WANT JAZZ

Program music is what some people want their lives to be...
or at least a nice waltz, three beats to a measure,
or even a minuet with steps all measured and counted,
but none of those will make me happy.
I want life to be jazz all the way.
Give me the unexpected turns and runs coming when least expected.
I'd rather be lost in the back streets by the river in Bangkok
than safe and secure on a Grayline tour of the city.
I'll take the train with no air-conditioning
winding its way through the rice fields of Southern Thailand
instead of riding a fast airplane to get where I want to be.
Give me a jazz existence.


Birthday supper with David and our neighbors

No comments: