Sunday, February 15, 2015


Explain to me again The Apostles’ Creed

Who’s in charge here, anyway?
Is it God?
If so, he needs to know a thing or two 
about some people I saw yesterday
and the day before…
A child of two or three is living in the park.
It’s not the same as going there to play.
He needs to know that.
Her parents keep their possessions in a shopping cart.
I heard in church His eye is on the sparrow.
I saw birds in the park today and heard them singing,
but this child has no other shelter from the threats of night
than trees and ground where squirrels live.
Who’s watching her?

And has He seen what’s happened to a woman,
an old one whose back is bent
and has eyes filled with despair
hanging all day long around the north end of the park
then sleeps at night behind the bus stop bench?

Earth’s a good place for life
for most of us.
I’m more than happy here,
but I must say if I had power and wisdom
with no limits whatsoever
except for those I set for myself,
I’d have a place for every child to live.



No comments: