Saturday, November 03, 2012

Kumbaya

AN UNCOMFORTABLE TRUTH is that racism is still a significant skein of threads running through the fabric of American culture... a skein, not a single thread. Racism is not a white or a black condition.  It isn’t Republican or Democrat, male or female.  It’s easy to recognize in a guy at a political rally wearing a “PUT WHITE BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE” T-Shirt.  It’s not so easy when the N-word is replaced by foreign, which has become it’s proxy in genteel conversations. When your Aunt Susan says at dinner that she is worried about the growing number of foreigners on the street where she lives, the others at the table probably don’t react the way they would if she said she wonders why there are more blacks or more Latinos on her street. 

The Washington Post reported that according to an Associated Press poll “Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president.”  In a survey conducted with researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan and NORC at the University of Chicago, polls show that 51% of Americans express anti-black attitudes.  When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56%.  According to the survey, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79% among Republicans compared with 32% among Democrats), the implicit test found little difference between the two parties. The test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans), as did about half of political independents.

So... where do we turn in our culture to find a way out of this uncomfortable condition. Like many citizens of San Diego I live in a large condominium community. The 334 units are home to just about every demographic group in the city. The buildings and grounds are maintained, with only the occasional exception, by Latinos. Maybe that’s not significant, but economic realities probably should be kept in mind when one is seeking reasons for racial and ethnic inequalities in a community. 

I should like to be able to say with some confidence that we might turn first to the various religious institutions for answers, but the complexions of most individual congregations within any denomination are either colored or white, rarely evenly mixed.  A church’s ministry to a special group, usually ethnic rather than purely racial, often takes the form of separate language services and programs, not segregation by dictum but by the habits of the larger culture.  The church which I attend is “open” and affirming, yet only a few blacks and Latinos attend services on a regular basis and a growing filipino population sits mostly together in a cluster both in worship services and in the social hall for coffee and visiting before and after services. The church clearly aims for diversity.  Five full-time pastors, three male and two female, serve the First United Methodist Church of San Diego.  One of the pastors is a Korean whose first language is English.  

The most disturbing thoughts occurring to me as I write this journal piece is that folks are to some extent hard-wired with racial resentment, not genetically but by early cultural experience. Is it possible that the majority of parishioners filling the pews on Sunday morning in the church I attend, mostly older white people, would be reluctant to participate in programs designed specifically to promote racial and ethnic diversity and harmony.  Negative racial attitudes can manifest in practice, even when the stated policy affirms equality. I wonder what the result would be if the five pastors in the church I attend were to set a goal of diversity within the congregation that mirrors the diversity of our city.  What would happen if they were determined to make it happen because “all God’s children” really means all God’s children?  What would happen if they believed they could change the way the folks in their church are mostly hard-wired to believe what they believe and react to others the way they react.  

Actually, it sounds a lot like something Jesus would do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what a splendid but uncomfortable statement.

Thank you for keeping me on your list.
Helen T.

Anonymous said...

And did I find you in the striped shirt? Indeed. Liz

Anonymous said...

JM
your idea of working on the issue of racism in your parish is a good one. The national Episcopal and the YWCA have programs on white privilege and racism in the church/community and how to build common ground....it is doable. I have attended several of these events.


For the US it is about white privilege which is the cornerstone of racism in our country. Perhaps in other cultures it is a different mix. However when I was asked the other day where I would start on this issue, my response was....I start with me...for being a white male this country was built....the planning forsook women, gays, people of color, religious beliefs, those with disabilities and so on.....Control and power together yield oppression....the formula that has been used to suppress by those US citizens of other US citizens. While racism is not about demos and repubs , it is in this country about white males verses all other groups.....interesting to note in this election a majority of white males are backing Romney......don't tell be there is no backlash against a man of color.

So beginning with myself, dealing with my denial, my guilt...moving beyond these and then engaging in race/racism conversation is vital if white males are ever to be a part of any solution.
A few years ago, you retired...and then went to work at a public school......you were also ready to write a book.......and as I recall your words,,,,you stopped realizing that you had yet so much to learn about others.....who were different....very different then children in prep schools.

As I have watched you over the years you have grown in so many ways...this yet is an area that you, I and other white males have much to get right....just came in from working on referendum 74 freedom to marry ballot measure.....I find that as I engage others...mainly white males it is initially tough sliding....and yet it can lead to common ground and increased respect for difference

This election for me has meant unconnecting with family members(birthers), friends and others...my address list has shrunk.....however the conversation must be moved front and center....so your 4-5 clergy could be helpful in moving it....but it would be as important for you and other white males in your parish to meet and engage others in this terrible disease...that hurts all of God's people....which plays on fear and results in hatred and violence...(.love is the opposite of fear....not hatred,)

It is also interesting that this race thing was opened here in the US maybe around 150 yrs ago when several social scientists set out to prove that whites were superior to people of color,Jews, Gays,etc. Hitler read the literature of these so called social scientists and the constructs promoted by these early studies molded Hitlers own policies that resulted in genocide. .

So is there a place to begin? yes....with oneself. Deal first with ones' denial and guilt then move on to engage others and one outcome for white guys like me, is that I have a chance to be a real part of community solutions......and never will I say again, this is your problem, I am not a racist, such a thing is beyond me....rather I am a racist, work through my racism, engage with others in this conversation and then move with others to build a country that works for all...you know....with liberty and justice for all.....not SOME(as it is yet today)

agape'
John Baker

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm simplifying but I think this racism thing is a generational thing. I think it starts in the home, that's where the conversation needs to start.
There was no conversation about racism in my household when I was growing up, but I figured out on my own that people who were ( for lack of a better word)"different" than me, were no better or no worse, they were just people.

My kids were brought in a household where they learned, from watching their parents, there was never even any big discussion that I can remember, it was that we lived in a little melting pot of our own, people of all color shapes and sizes. That's just life. We didn't need to talk about it. Why?

Talking sure won't hurt, but actions speak louder, and as the generations pass, I believe it will get better.I know for a fact this subject won't even be a talking point in my childrens future household. It surely exists in the world now, but I feel good about the future, at least that is my hope.

I don't even notice our President is a man of color until I am reminded of that by a news organization. I hope, in time, no one will notice.

Jerral Miles said...

Mark, I really like your optimism... and your persistent hope. We need it... Thanks.
Jerral