Thursday, July 05, 2012



You’ve heard already that physicists have found the elusive Particle that may be a key to understanding how and why the Universe exists. (...a note to all of my colleagues and friends who are English teachers and for others who are fanatical about capitalizing only those things that William Strunk says should be capitalized... I went back and changed universe to Universe because I judge that such awesomeness deserves elevation.) That they’ve actually found Higgs-Boson is a strong maybe... too soon to know for sure; but I’m psyched and can’t wait to hear what the so-called creationists decide to do with the information.  The folks at the creationist museum in San Diego County have come up with an explanation for million-year-old bones, so this new problem should be a piece of cake for them.  There are no signs, however, that they’re giving up the fight to keep alive a core belief among the faithful that everything that exists got its start around sixty-five-hundred years ago.  
Of course, I know the words I read in the New York Times this morning, but I don’t really understand any of it.  Knowing whether the universe is held together by matter or anti-matter won’t change the way I see a fern frond unfolding or a water lily blossom blooming or a street musician strumming and singing.




1 comment:

Rajesh said...

Is that a lotus, I wish you could capture the entire pond as well. Would have looked beautiful.