Wednesday, April 04, 2012

THIS ‘N THAT...This is Holy Week, so I’m seeing lilies everywhere. I went looking on-line for an answer when I wondered why lilies are associated with Easter. I learned that many churches continue a tradition of banking their altars with masses of Easter Lilies to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus and the hope of eternal life. Mythology, literature and poetry are full of stories and images which make use of lilies as representatives of beauty and hope in a world with more than a little drabness and discouragement and meanness in it. The lily has long been a mark of purity and grace.

I came across information nobody had bothered to tell me... and I’m more than a little disappointed in myself that I didn’t think of it without any help from anybody. Did you know that in the Victorian period the conspicuous stamens and pistils were often removed in church because they were seen as overt symbols of sexuality? ...So I guess sex on the minds of church folks isn’t a new phenomenon.

I was going to put a picture of a snake Margaret and I saw in Balboa Park’s Cactus Garden, but maybe not. At least not with the lilies... not today. It might move some excitable person to impure thoughts... and I don’t want to be responsible for that... certainly not in Holy Week. You can think what you want to about the artichoke.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KNOW what that atrichoke looks like inside out!!! All hairy, and sommth, and shiny, and wet!!! Don't try to deny it!!! What a vile mind!!! filthy!! filthy!!!
RB

Anonymous said...

You KNOW what that atrichoke looks like inside out!!! All hairy, and sommth, and shiny, and wet!!! Don't try to deny it!!! What a vile mind!!! filthy!! filthy!!!
RB

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerral,             
     I like the lilies and the artichokes,  they are both amazing, but so is the snake.  It is after all part of the world and the big picture.  Dont let dogma cloud your judgement here.   Snakes, yes are cold blooded, but so what,  they have young too and are inextricably conjoined into what has been pounded into our heads as part of our ecosystem.
Dont feel threatened by the snake, rather, take note and enjoy their plight.
 
Where is spring? 
Michiel

Anonymous said...

That artichoke is quite exciting with its interesting projectile-looking points.

Re: removing stamens & pistils: I remember as a young child seeing red
Anthuriums in church & it brought thoughts to mind; but actually I had
3 brothers, 2 of whom I bathed with regularly. Were my thoughts impure?
I was distracted however & my eyes kept returning to that yellow curved
object in the middle of the flower.
Betsy