Wednesday, April 05, 2017


While I was out walking among the flowers today, I came across this incredible white rose.  I thought how perfect it is, and then I saw on the buds some little insects that would surely not be healthy for the plant.  I looked at other buds on the rose bush and found that they were also covered with the little 
bugs. For some reason I thought immediately about what I might do to destroy the invading insects, and then I remembered one of favorite poems... one by e.e. cummings.  I went home and found the poem and include it here.  I'll leave the little critters alone, I decided.  I found that I had taken a picture also today of something that was not born but was made.  I include it just for the hell of it.  I suppose I was affected by listening to the Trump guy talk about the Syrian tragedy and watching as he tried to describe how disturbed he is by the "killing of infants... just little babies" with poison gas, and I thought of what he is doing in our country to keep help from going to poor people, babies trapped in families where there won't be money and education enough for basic care... and then I remembered the days when I was a teacher and wondered what I would be saying to kids who are undoubtedly thinking and talking about this new set of problems. Sometimes listening and reading poems to them is the best thing to do.

'pity this busy monster, manunkind'

pity this busy monster, manunkind,

not. Progress is a comfortable disease:
your victim (death and life safely beyond)

plays with the bigness of his littleness
--- electrons deify one razorblade
into a mountainrange; lenses extend
unwish through curving wherewhen till unwish
returns on its unself.
                          A world of made
is not a world of born --- pity poor flesh

and trees, poor stars and stones, but never this
fine specimen of hypermagical

ultraomnipotence. We doctors know

a hopeless case if --- listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go

E. E. Cummings








No comments: