Tuesday, April 25, 2017


COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER OR CCD is the name given to a phenomenon which is potentially one of the most serious threats to the welfare of all humans on earth.  The name refers to the devastating disappearance of honey bees in North America.  I read a Harvard University Library report on the importance of honey bees to crop production.  Studies show that the annual failure rate of honeybee colonies averages now about 30% in North America.  Honeybee losses are potentially devastating economically since bee pollination is vital to at least one-third of crops worldwide.  A walk with my camera in a garden at Paradise Village reminded me of the importance of protecting honey bees and how fragile their existence on earth has become because of the use of pesticides and human encroachment on land. 


As I do sometimes in BLOG writing, I ramble because I don’t know what else to do to help bring a change that needs to be brought to a situation. I learned about the Varroa mite which is a serious threat to honeybees worldwide.  The Varroa mete is a destroyer of bees by weakening the bees’ immune systems and affecting their health in general… so while we worry about climate change and proliferation of weapons that can kill large populations of humans, I urge all people to do everything possible to care for bees.  Our lives may depend on the survival of bees.


No comments: