Tuesday, September 20, 2016


I don't know the photographer, and I don't know the exact date of the photograph.  I found it years after I bought the clock on the wall.  The Singapore Government was closing the Opium Den, and all the "stuff" in the room was piled on the sidewalk in front of the place, the clock was among them.  I bought the clock for three Singapore dollars, which was approximately one U.S. dollar sometime between 1969 and 1973.  The clock has become a treasure in our house.  I moved it into Paradise Village.  It keeps good time still.  Just after I took the picture below, the clock chimed seven o'clock.

Our San Diego part of the world was gifted with a slow rain today… almost all day.  It is the kind of rain that makes farmers glad.  The rain today marks the end of a long period of no rain.  Hooray.  Life is good.  

My President, Barack Obama:  For a couple of weeks my focus has been on where I am, where I am going to be, on myself. Listening this morning to my President speak, I was jarred back to the reality that the earth, my home, is home to many other people as well as it is to me.  The boundaries created by the edges of my country are boundaries that don’t necessarily wall me into a way of thinking about my humanity.  My humanity is not determined just by what is happening in my space, but what is happening in countries whose boundaries and whose inside governments are vastly different from the democracy of the United States of America.  My President understands that difference.  He celebrates his citizenship in America, but he never seems to lose sight of the rest of the world and to his connection to the rest of the world. 



No comments: