Monday, June 27, 2016


Hot Spell…  Everybody is talking about the heat wave that is hitting our part of Southern California… and I am remembering that summers were hot…very hot… in the part of California where I lived when I was a little boy.  Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to get almost to 90 degrees Fahrenheit  near the coast in San Diego.  90 degrees doesn’t seem to me to be so bad, but the weather people on radio and TV are declaring this a heat crisis event.  I don’t want to begin to sound like a certain presidential candidate who declares Americans are a bunch of sissies unable to bear up under slightly uncomfortable conditions, but how do I explain that temperatures that reach into the 90s are HOT even to me, the guy who insists that he grew up in the Sacramento Valley… so I turn to another issue, or dilemma, or problem, or… or… or…

COMPUTER SPEAK

What a world this is we live in
where machines and people 
talk to each other and get acquainted
more intimately than people do,
a most exquisite kind
that blends words and ideas
and the gentle pressure of fingers
which can’t be more than is involved
when lovers meet and try to reach other.


No comments: