Friday, February 05, 2016



Today was one of those days when I had something in mind to write, but instead of writing it, I went looking for something I thought I remembered, and found a poem I wrote a quarter of a century ago... It has nothing to do with what I was writing.  I can save that for another day; but today is son David's birthday, and Son-in-Law David's birthday is next week, so I'm sure I will find my way back to the few lines I wrote this morning thinking of them and feeling grateful for them and for the good work they do in a crazy world.  I've put the poem here.  I don't remember the name of the preacher, but I remember the morning and how uncomfortable I was to see him hold up a box for the congregation to behold and to hear him say what was in the box was a most priceless gift. I remember the children clustered around him looking at the box.  They really wanted to see the priceless gift.  They expected something and they, of course, didn't know what they thought was in the box..., but they thought there was something in it, perhaps candy or something they could take away with them on their walk to Sunday School.  I sat wondering what he would produce, fearing the worst.  The worst came... and I have never forgotten it. He opened the big box and took out little boxes and gave each child one. He told them they could open the boxes, and they did, and they found them empty.



THE GIFT

The eager preacher told the children a lie,
that the empty box he gave each of them 
was filled to overflowing with love.

They sat clustered below the high pulpit
where truth is supposed to originate,
and they were expectant, waiting, quiet.

“I told you I would give you a present,”
he said in the voice he keeps for children,
“and in the box a wonderful, priceless gift.”

It’s not just that there was nothiing in the boxes
or that he shouldn’t have tried to simplify something so complicated
that even the Good Shepherd in the stained glass window died trying.

Doesn’t he worry that these little ones may now think they know
or, just as bad, that they can explain what love is 
by saying it’s something that you can put in a box?

Does even one of them think he now knows what love is
and will go out into the world to act on what he believes
getting into trouble of the most complex and painful kind?

It’s enough to say to children that love is worthwhile
and beautiful and associated with as much pain as glory
and let them go out believing it’s easy to find and hard to keep.

Sunday, December 9, 1990

No comments: