Sunday, February 14, 2016



Remembering Coty
In 1990 when I was still working, and when we still had our Great Dog Coty
I'd take him to Dog Beach for a run on weekend mornings and during
holidays.  Saturday, December, 1990, was a holiday.


ALL ROADS LEAD AWAY TO DOG BEACH

In the San Diego River this morning the sea lion headed upstream.
I thought at first it was just another dog chasing a tennis ball,
but there is was surfacing and diving and surfacing again
apparenty unpreturbed by all the shouting people and barking dogs.
The sight of that beautiful creature on its way from somewhere
and just as obviously and purposefully on its way to somewhere else
made all the Gypsy blood in my body sing and the soles of my feet itch.
There I was just walking my dog around in great circles by the sea
when the highways of the world were leading directly to where I was
and all the roads and trails that go anywhere begin right there
on the parking lot at a place called Dog Beach in San Diego, California.


Saturday, December 29, 1990




No comments: