Tuesday, February 23, 2016



I was on my way back to my car a couple of weeks ago from MOPA in Balboa Park when I saw several homeless people... Took a picture of this guy lying asleep around 3:30 in the afternoon. I don't know if he found a shelter when night came or if he just found some place under a bridge or in a thicket of trees in the park.  I thought of him today as I got ready to go back to another volunteer job... this one not in the Park but at the Methodist Church in Mission Valley.  Thirteen people who for whatever reason have no home to go to sleep the night in the church.  I remembered the man and the photograph, and thought it would be appropriate for my picture and my BLOG for today.  Of out thirteen homeless people, one is a 12-day-old little girl.  Her parents are homeless, so she is homeless with them.  I was at the shelter last night, too.  I took time last night and It's been on my mind all day that I have no reason to be disappointed in whatever personal situation I find myself.  I don't know anything personal about any of the thirteen people who are staying the night with us.  They come at 5:30 p.m. and go out again by 7 in the morning.  We eat dinner with them and breakfast, and they pack a lunch for themselves before they leave in the morning.  The same 13 people will be back at 5:30 today.  I won't ask any questions about their personal losses.  Asking questions is against the rules.  Being grateful for my good fortune is not against the rules, so that's what I am doing.



No comments: