Wednesday, March 04, 2015


Of all the Greek stories the one that fascinated me most when I was a boy, and still does today, is the myth that tells how Theseus killed the half man, half bull monster called the Minotaur that lived deep inside a labyrinth on Crete. The story has symbolic significance that I didn’t fully understand until I was much older. At the San Diego Museum of Art I took some pictures of the sculpture done around 1840 by Antoine-Louis Barye in France of Theseus and the Minotaur wrestling just before Theseus plunged a sword into the head of the monster and killed it.  It is an amazing not very large bronze sculpture that seems when you walk around it to move as wrestlers move. With only a little imagination, it's easy to let the small sculpture and the story it tells represent any terrible conflict that rages between any two enemies... think ISIS and the civilization it is determined to destroy.





And afterwards...
Peace.


No comments: