Friday, January 16, 2015


The San Diego Museum of Photograph Arts is rearranging itself… It’s not a reinvention, that’s something else… some would say it’s a renovation, but that isn’t it either.  The atrium is, as Hemingway would call it, “A Clean Well lighted Place.”  It’s not unusual for people who know the Hemingway story to disagree on what it means.  He chose the title for his own reasons, and he didn’t say what the reasons were …I think his emphasis is on the importance of nothingness, emptiness. The new look for MOPA’s atrium is clean, bright, and definitely not cluttered, encouraging people who enter it to focus on the photographs, the art. Another thought I had while I spent three hours in the atrium today was that I’d like sit on the floor in the middle of it all by myself and listen to Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition.  

If you haven't been to MOPA lately, or even if you have, go to Balboa Park and take a look at the  new spaces. 




No comments: