Saturday, January 03, 2015



Focusing… NOT!

The moon is full tonight… what a strange adjectival choice full is in that sentence… but maybe not much stranger than saying “I am full” after having eaten two helpings of the shrimp curry Margaret made for supper tonight… I can see (interesting verb choice) this blog writing is headed out into realms beyond my understanding. My imagination was fired this morning by the report following an L.A. Times headline “Spacecraft draws near to dwarf planet Ceres… Some researchers think that Ceres may have originated much farther out in the solar system, before being yanked into its current position during a dramatic upheaval earlier in the solar system’s development.”  I know that Ceres being a sphere has a lot to do with gravity, but I’ve decided to go on without being intellectually able to manage it… to give up trying to get my brain around the idea of the Big Bang, for example,  that happened (if I can use an expression referring to time as if I really understood the reality of it… what it means to say about the theory of the origin of the universe commonly accepted by cosmologists… what I started out trying to say in this impossibly convoluted, long sentence) fourteen thousand million years ago, one thousand million being the natural number following 999,999,999 and preceding 1,000,000,001. Before going on, I remind myself that I was an English major assiduously trying to avoid university courses that required me to fully understand numbers, whether they had to do with concepts of time or just plain geometry (aware after writing just in front of plain geometry that doing it is something, and I’m guessing here, a mathematician would never do) or any mathematics beyond what is necessary to balance a checkbook or understand the implications of a school budget… but in spite of my avoidance of arguments having to do with proving that God does or does not exist or where all this stuff in the universe came from or figuring out why we homo sapiens can’t get along with each other, I occasionally let my imagination wander out beyond tonight’s fantastic full moon.








1 comment:

Rajesh said...

What a coincidence! I had shrimps myself. But M's definitely looks a lot more delicious.