Sunday, September 08, 2013

Maybe you can go home again...
if you don't expect everything there to make sense.


Maybe it's my age.

The experience of church isn't the same as it once was for me.
Years ago it was the mystery that kept my interest.

Mystery has mostly been replaced by logic...
which can be useful
if you're trying to figure out what's wrong with your car 
but doesn't satisfy
the way the symbol of the stained glass lamb does.

  

Satisfaction is important.

This morning the gray-haired fellow who sat in a pew in front of me
got up to read, and the voice had a familiar, satisfying ring to it.
"THE WORD that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: "Come, go down to the potter's house,
and there I will let you hear my words." So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was
working at his wheel.  The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand,
and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him.


The reader was once a student of mine.
He was once young Vincent Hamilton.
He's a surgeon now in the town where he was a boy.
I remember his mother and his father... good people.


The morning in church had something to do with the way I watched
in the afternoon a bumble bee working a hedge of blue flowers.
I wondered how something with small wings and a big body could fly.
It's a mystery.




Brunch with family and friends was satisfying, too,
not because the food was good, and it was... very good...
but because of the mystery that binds us together.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful the picture of the lamb! And the pictures of the bee are great. I've probably said before that your writings are just as wonderful as your photographs.

Helen Thomas