Friday, May 24, 2013


On I-5 at 4:30 in the Morning

Sometimes it’s the picture I didn’t get
that finds a permanent place in my mind...
which is exactly the way it was/is today...

I won’t forget the full moon over the ocean
dropping closer and closer to the horizon
while I looked for a place to stop the car
on the highway between San Diego and L.A.
I found the perfect spot to turn out and stop;
but by the time I got to it, the moon was down.

It’s O.K. 
It’s sometimes better to think whatever is
is what should be.


So I settled for a bottlebrush flower, straight on with color subtracted, in Yuba City... as substitute...
Didn't seem right to leave the color because I'd have liked the moon in black and white.
That's the way I will continue to see it in my mind.


...which reminds me of the picture I took yesterday at the Museum of Photographic Arts
as I was coming down the stairs... No question about it: black and white is right.


I tired the portrait of Cleo.  She's not sure about black and white,
but I like it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That moon that is in your minds eye is probably more beautiful than the one you could have captured, maybe thats why you were meant to miss it.