Tuesday, May 28, 2013


Continuing a Sentimental Journey

I went out on my bike this morning to find places I knew a long time ago.  I wanted get a another picture of the Sutter Buttes... this time from the high point of the 10th Street Bridge that spans the Feather River between Yuba City and Marysville. I crossed the bridge on the north side to get up-river pictures and pictures of the Buttes.  Riding back from Marysville along the south side of the bridge, I enjoyed views of both cities.  

I rode south on the Yuba City side to the 5th Street Bridge and headed back to Marysville to find the spot where I saw President Harry Truman, his wife Bess, and his daughter Margret when they passed through the area on the Presidential train. Facing a tough reelection campaign, he crossed America in June, 1948, on his way to accept an honorary degree at the University of California in Berkeley.  Along the way, Truman made a series of what came to be known as whistlestops--quick stopovers in cities and towns along the path of the railroad.  At each whistlestop, the President made a brief public appearance, often speaking to crowds from the back of the train. His train stopped at the Marysville depot. I was there, a thirteen-year-old boy whose parents believed America owed the man respect and support.  I’ll never forget the moment when he came out onto the platform of the last car and spoke without a microphone to the small crowd.  I liked him immediately. The impression I got was that he could be trusted with a second term as the leader of the “free” world.  This was a time before the Civil Rights Movement, and Truman had angered conservative Southerners, led by Strom Thurmond to form the States’ Rights Democratic Party, by declaring his support of civil rights for all citizens. The majority of the defectors from the Democratic Party soon allied themselves, sometimes uncomfortably, with the GOP.  In the middle of Truman’s first term the GOP won solid majorities in both houses of Congress. The prospects for Truman in November were considered by almost everybody to be grim. In what was supposed to be a private conversation, even his wife predicted that her husband would probably lose in a landslide to Thomas Dewey, the popular governor of New York.  Journalists predicted he would lose, but Truman wouldn’t give up and surprised everybody, even himself, by winning the election. 

 A third destination on my bicycle ride today was to go to the old train depot in Marysville where I had first seen a President.  The train no longer comes to that part of Marysville. The tracks have been removed, and the old depot has been turned into a shelter for the homeless. I imagine Truman would approve.  I walked my bike across the old bridge which is falling into disrepair.  A guy below the bridge got out of a county truck and yelled up at me to be careful.  










7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful dy of memories for you.
Harry is one of my favorites too.
M.L.

Unknown said...

That must have been fun reliving those memories. What a nice bike ride. All that biking is having a positive affect on you, you're looking good. And, lovin the bike.

Anonymous said...

This is very sweet and tender, coming from that young boy inside, Jerral. Ginny

Anonymous said...

Wow! Truman! And you - 13 years-old boy… it’s all like a legend to me. I feel every word! Can imagine what feelings you had at that moment, looking at the place that had changed and remembering all that had happened… Life is Good!
Антон

Anonymous said...

You are quite the writer! When will you publish a book? With your incredible knowledge of the world, history, poetry, human rights, music, theatre, politics, flora, fauna, et j'en passe et j'en passe. You are a wealth of information and an incredible photographer. I feel so privilege to know you, to have met you and to have you as a friend
Anielle

Lenda said...

The Sutter Buttes! this memory brought back the smell of the earth out there in Northern Cal...it was so dry compared to where I grew up(down the Mississippi from New Orleans...the humidity is so high here. I loved just to look at the Buttes...a perfect miniature range of. Mountains rearing up out of the flat valley....but they always scared me too....because of all the rattlesnakes one heard about...are they still full of nests of rattlesnakes?
Lenda

Jerral Miles said...

It always surprises me that someone who grew up where there are water moccasins and alligators and other scary critters would be skittish about rattlers. Actually, I'm hesitant stepping through the brush when there's the possibility that any of them might be there... not at all brave.