Saturday, April 09, 2011

A few days ago I began a BLOG post with “It’s true! There is definitely something different about Washington... Actually, not just something, almost everything.” I was hoping I wouldn’t be misunderstood. Washington is one of the most beautiful capitals in the world. I like it. Once upon a time I lived here for a decade, one of the best of many good periods of my life. Coming back for a visit with Daughter Nancy and other friends and family is always a special treat.

This morning I wandered around the National Cathedral Close and took some pictures of the “other” buildings there. I’ll probably go back tomorrow and take some more photographs of the Cathedral itself, inside and out. I thought about Paul Cesanne and my friend Tom Fagan as I peered through a profusion of flowers and branches of some blooming magnolia tulip trees (I think that’s what they are) and tried to imagine what artists would do with the cottage that sits a couple of hundred yards northwest of the big cathedral. After the last few days of fierce wrangling over the budget, coming right down to the last hour before reaching an agreement not to shut down the government, the most peaceful place in Washington must have been the Cathedral Close, with its scattering of quiet buildings and blooming gardens. I wish the peace here could flow down the hill from this highest place in the city and permeate the meetings that will take place as the Administration and Congress continue to try to find a way to make our government work as it was designed to work for all of us.




No comments: