Friday, May 26, 2017


This morning I was going with my friend Jim Fudge around the place where we live, and I came across a piece of paper that I picked up thinking it was a worthless piece of junk.  I was going to throw it away, but instead of worthless junk, it was a menu from an eating place on University Avenue that I’ve never visited.  The title of the place is unassuming: “San Diego’s Finest Donuts & Deli." On my way to the trash barrel, I opened it and decided a couple of things: 1. I am going to stop by that place the next time I’m in the neighborhood, and 2. I got an idea for today’s BLOG writing based on what I’ve learned from the little menu.  

The importance of choices:  The first thing I learned from the menu is the importance of not wasting anything.  The little menu is a piece of plain white paper (8 1/2 inches by11 inches)… of a weight that is whatever is just heavier than I get for my printer at a stationery store. The menu is tri-folded with six places for menu items… and all the menu items give information in large bold print, just the kind of information that urges anybody who looks at it to want something: The first Signature Sandwiches with prices from  “The Strike Out" (with Black Forest Ham, Roast Beef, Oven Roasted Turkey, and provolone Cheese) for $9.95 down to Bacon, Lettuce and yes, Tomato for $7.95. A note at the bottom of that column gives the information that invites the reader to *For $1.00 add your choice of: Bacon, Avocado, extra cheese or extra meat of any sandwich.

The middle panel of information is a great lot of information in easy to read large, bold print that describes how you can “Build Your Own” sandwich for $6.95.  The third panel describes the Breakfast menu with the information that for $1.00 you may substitute meat for anything you’ve ordered.  The reverse side of the trifold gives clear information for Catering and Custom Cakes, Weddings and more!


The third panel, which becomes the menu when folded properly, gives vital information: the name of the establishment with address phone number and email address…  I’m going to stop by there someday soon because I like choices… and I especially like this place already…



No comments: