Wednesday, May 31, 2017


Sky…  San Diego is known to San Diegans as a perfect place to live.  I am one of those who think the people who live here are on to something important… something more significant to the health and mental well being of everybody than the beautiful beaches and rocky shorelines. We have placid weather… smooth peaceful skies. We have come to the close of the month of May and everybody here knows about May Gray. British would say May Grey.  We are beginning the month of June and we can expect June Gloom. These two months with their “bland” climates in our region are gifts. I’m ready to admit that occasionally I wish for a stormy day, or at least a story period for even one day.  Instead we get weather that is generally cool with an overcast sky.  Sometimes the sky is clear, but mostly there is the smooth overcast of high fog or clouds. What I wish for is a real storm with flashing lightening and roaring thunder, but then I am reminded that not everybody in San Diego lives in a safe, secure, dry place.  I remember the homeless people of our area.  I picture in my mind’s eye the streets in Southeast San Diego that are lined with the makeshift homes of hundreds of people.  Some people sleep without even a tent.  Some people sleep close to a building or under a bridge.  Some people have made shelters of pieces of found material.  It is when I remember those people that I am glad we don’t have roaring, violent storms. 





No comments: