Thursday, April 13, 2017


What makes National City, where Margaret and I live, an all American place.  We've got a McDonald's, a Popeyes, a Starbucks, and a Dunk'n Donuts all in one place near the Plaza off-ramp from the 805 Freeway.  The freeway, one of two cutting through National City, helps establish our city as all American.

I intended this post to be something of a joke, but I saw the Manila Seafood sign in the Popeyes photograph and was reminded that National City is a serious international town.  The population is as diverse as any I know in America.  The Plaza off-ramp on the 805 Freeway is only ten miles from the Mexican Border...and the town's waterfront hugs the South Bay which runs along the Pacific Ocean from San Diego down to the southernmost part of the United States.  Every business establishment that I know in National City greets citizens with at least two languages, sometimes more. Just about everybody here speaks Spanish as well as English... and nobody I know is apologetic when using another language to express a thought.  I am proud to be a citizen of such as place as this.




No comments: