Thursday, February 16, 2017


The Swiss Prix Pictet exhibition at MOPA  and the book that goes with it this year are assembled around the idea of “disorder.”  Today I went to my volunteer job at the Museum of Photographic Arts after having watched the American President dissolve into a state of disorder before a roomful of journalists, and I have gone through the few hours since then with a distinct feeling that the country which I have always considered to be well organized around a strong system of government because it is basically orderly at its core is presently in a state of acute disorder. As I watched the CNN coverage of the news conference I became afraid for my country.  I was wishing the man who carries the title of President could somehow be replaced by someone whose mind is orderly, but that isn’t going to happen.  Those of us who wish for a change aren’t going to get what they want.  Donald Trump is the President of the United States. 

So what is the appropriate, responsible way to be a good citizen of a country whose government is being managed irresponsibly?  Of course, this disordered time will pass. My country’s form of government is the best in the world. We are a democracy in the hands of an autocrat.  The autocrat cannot succeed in turning the American democracy into an autocracy, so I must be a citizen of a democracy no matter who or what the President is. My behaviors as a citizen must be those of a citizen of a democracy.  

Oh, and by the way, go to MOPA in Balboa park to see this amazing exhibition.  






No comments: