Friday, February 10, 2017


I know, I know... You've seen this scene many times before, but tonight was special.  The program was "The Classical Style" and the program was predictably Haydn, Prokofiev and Bartok... Ok so it should have been "The Late Classical Style with Haydn from an Earlier Time."  Anyway, it was a very good concert.  All of the music was outstanding, but my favorite was the part of the evening that came after the intermission... Bela Bartok wrote his Concerto for Orchestra in the last year of his life.  He had been ill and on the edge of death, yet he poured all his genius into the creation of this amazing work.  The conductor for the evening, Lahav Shani, is only 28 years old.  He managed to get sounds from the orchestra that I sat amazed to hear.  At the end of the program, I felt very glad that Bartok lived to create his concerto.  Prokofiev and Haydn works were outstanding also.  I remembered hearing Prokofiev's Symphony No. 1 in D Major and Haydn's Sinfonia concertante in B-flat Major,  but I hadn't ever heard the Bartok Concerto.  I was glad to have been in Symphony Hall tonight.


No comments: