Saturday, January 07, 2017


Still clearing out "stuff" from the old place... I came across this hanging barong which I got in a market somewhere in Southeast Asia... It must have been in Bali.  The Barong is a character in the mythology of Bali, Indonesia.  Barong is ugly but good.  The Barong is often made into a bell and hung at a window.  The tongue is a clapper, and when the wind blows, the tongue hits the edges of the mouth making a clattering sound.  The sound is meant to scare away evil spirits, especially Rangda, the demon queen and mother of all spirit guardians in the mythology of Bali.  This one was well worn and well used when I got it.  I brought it back to the U.S. when we came back to live in this country. Perhaps it should be in a place where the wind blows here in National City and left there beginning with days the new President is inaugurated.  I had hung it over the door of a room I used for an office in the old apartment.  The wind didn't blow in that place, but I liked having it hanging there scaring away badness.  It is scaring away bad stuff in the room I use for writing in the new apartment.


No comments: