Thursday, December 29, 2016


Forty years ago Margret and I discovered the Chinese art of turning interesting stones into eggs.  The egg has obvious significance as a symbol of beginning life, and making eggs out of something like crystal rocks that allow you to look inside and imagine all sorts of things you convince yourself that you see there opens up a world you haven't discovered in Western culture.  I never get tired or bored just looking at this crystal egg.  It has been on our book shelves in Singapore, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, New Lebanon, and San Diego.  Tonight when I took it down from the shelf to make a picture, I looked into the egg and saw...  Well, you know I can't reveal what I saw, but IT was there.  When you come to our house, ask to see this egg.  I'll be interesting to know if  you see something that I haven't seen.




No comments: