Tuesday, March 01, 2016

We’re home again… and I went looking for a poem for today…  was going to write one, but found a poem in the journal from 1990… a poem which is appropriate for today... especially after a weekend with the family in Louisiana... I am grateful for all my sisters and brothers...


SISTER PAT

Strange to be in my sister’s home
whom I haven’t seen much 
in thirty five years of living away
from the family we once were
before I got married and then she did
and we went off to make families of our own.

She was once a little girl I remember
with long hair and a nice smile
and she recited the Christmas story from St. Luke
at church when she was ten
and I listened and didn’t know
she would grow up to live in Virginia
in a Virginia house and send a husband
off to work every day on the bus and subway.

Now she is a woman almost fifty 
with hair that is still long
and a nice smile and ideas about politics
that I can’t agree with or even appreciate,
but that doesn’t matter
because it’s clear she’s my sister.
We were conceived and grew in the same womb.
We are alive in the same world.
We will be laid to rest someday in the same earth
on which another generation will have passed.

Saturday, March 20, 1990





No comments: