Monday, March 07, 2016

On the way back home from the airport today 
I stopped and got a familiar picture of the San Diego Boat Harbor 
and the skyline.  We had rain today.  Hooray!


DISCOVERY


I’ve touched, I’ve been touched by the writer, poet, playwright Sherman Alexie,  and I want to share the experience.  I had read a couple of short pieces by Alexie, but until I settled into his collection of short stories which won the National Book Award, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven, I didn’t actually know that here is a major, an important writer.  His first novel was The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. I haven't read his first book, but it's next on my list of important "to read" books. We can expect much more from him, so I want to get his name out there among the people I know.  Alexis grew up on a reservation in Spokane, Washington.  His father was from the Coeur d’Alene tribe and his Mother was of the Choctaw tribe.  My friend John Baker lives here in San Diego and in Washington State and before he left today to go back to Washington, he left Alexie’s book with me.  I am hooked, and you will be too when you begin to read.  I read first the Prologue and the Introduction, then I skipped to page 181 to read the short story that gives the book its title. I may not go to bed tonight until I've finished the entire book. Wow!  Some of you may know him already, but if you don’t, check him on the Internet.  He makes me wish I were teaching English again.

No comments: